Tuesday, January 17, 2006

In support of authors

There was a book launch today (two books, really) at the Observatory Pod, National Library, by Singaporean author George Tan. Details over at High Browse Online.

BTW, I don't know George Tan personally. I didn't attend the book launch (though was invited). Had to host a librarian from the UK -- more on this later in the week.

Shel says he's not coming to Singapore after all. Was sorely disappointed that we can't meet up. But he said he's snail-mailed me an autographed copy of his book, so that's made my day.

I've decided this blog will start supporting two kinds of authors:
  • Authors whom I know personally (bloggers or not), and
  • Singaporean authors

The latter can do with more word-of-mouth publicity from fellow Singaporeans. I would do it not so much to endorse the book but simply to lend my support to local writing. My logic (albeit simplistic) is this:
Promotion of reading to locals goes hand-in-hand with the promotion of locals who write.

You know, that includes blogs as well.


Tag: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation. Leave a comment :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.