Yesterday, just before the Paul Theroux session, I had an informal discussion with a few colleagues who shared a certain like-mindedness about the provision of library services to people with disabilities. At the end of our discussion, I decided to start a mailing list for librarians and just about everybody else interested in the topic of Library Disability Services in Singapore.
Specifically, the list would be for people who are interested in doing something -- or already doing, or getting something done -- for, or with People with Disabilties.
To put it in point form:
- A librarian-facilitated network
- For those in the library and information profession, as well any other people;
- Who have a shared interest;
- About the provision of library/ information services;
- To people with disabilities
This would be a personal initiative, i.e. not affliated with my employer or any other organisation. I just want to get something going rather than try and raise it through formal channels. Faster that way.
I hope to have some library professionals in Singapore join me in getting this list started or contributing to the list. I don't know how many would be keen... Maybe it will be a list with a membership of one. Maybe it'll turn out to be a mailing list for Ivan's Monologues.
Ah, heck -- what have I got to lose? Just do it : )
- There can be no action without awareness;
- There can be no awareness without dialogue;
- There can be no dialogue without some starting point
Hence, this mailing list would be a starting point for dialogue, that hopefully gets translated into action.
Right now, I'm trying to think of a name for this list:
- Singapore Librarians For Library Disability Services (SLFLDS)
- Librarians For Disability Services, Singapore (LFDSS)
- Volunteer Librarians For Library Disability Services
- Singapore Librarians Disability Services Support Network (SLDSSN)
- Singapore Librarians Disability Services Support Group (SLDSSG)
- Singapore Librarians Disability Services Network (SLDSN)
It's a mouthful but it conveys the scope and intent of the list, it's more inclusive for non-librarians, yet still conveys that it's a librarian-facilitated network.
Suggestions from the Blogosphere for names would be most welcome.
Tag: library disability services