Saturday, December 24, 2005

Digital Art & Digital Storytelling

Knowing that I have an interest in drawing and painting, my wife borrowed this book for me. I was totally blown away by the content. All the artwork was done digitally (my 'raw notes', here).
cover

Was so inspired that I bought this -- a Wacom Intuos pen/ tablet system:

Using it the first time wasn't as easy as I thought. My problem was trying to move the pen like I was still using a mouse.

Basically in using a mouse, you move the mouse over more or less the same spot (on the mouse pad or desk), i.e. your wrist rests on the desk and doesn't really move.

But with a pen-tablet system, you have to move your hand over the surface area of the tablet . The surface area corresponds with the entire area of the computer screen. If you want your cursor to move to the bottom-left of your computer screen, you move your pen to same relative position of the tablet (i.e. same bottom-left corner of the tablet). Your wrist tends to be lifted off the desk.

After going at it a few more times, I've gotten used to using the pen & tablet. Now I can easily switch between using the pen & tablet and the mouse, depending on what's most appropriate for the application at hand.

In digital graphics, using the pen & tablet really improves productivity and provides greater control compared to a mouse. I cannot imagine doing the same Legend of Bukit Merah pictures without the tablet.

With this new toy, maybe I'll might try out digital storytelling.

Maybe.


Tag:

4 comments:

  1. Nice to have you back, Roxanne. So that's where you've been hiding lately...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:57 pm

    Relating to your post, here's a link that you might be interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Isaak. Have checked out the site and added it to my blogroll over at MyRightBrain.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Leave a comment :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.