Saturday, December 31, 2005

Hitachi going the way of Channel 9? And will libraries get into the act?

Just read that Hitachi Data Systems is preparing a blog strategy (via Naked Conversations). I wonder if they are going the way like Microsoft's Channel 9... ... I have a feeling Hitachi will do something a bit different.

Why am I interested in this? Just another company trying out blogging, right? Well, when reputable corporations adopt something, that usually gives that 'something' greater legitimacy.

OK, so why's that important? It's just another for-profit company trying out blogging as a kind of marketing gimmick, right? No, I think corporate blogs (when done properly) goes beyond marketing and hype. I think it's about allowing potential customers to be clued into the heads of company employees, engaging the online community in dialogue, and creating some sort of shared values along the way.

(Wow, I can write a thesis proposal with that...)

A few people did suggest to me that Channel-9 type of corporate blogs will only work for large corporations like Microsoft, Google, IBM (companies whose brands already generate enough clout and interest). That most people aren't interested in what the employees are thinking if the company doesn't have any "brand".

Wait a sec -- most city/ national libraries aren't small organisations, and they also have enough clout and audience-base. Arent' they ideal candidates to get into 'corporate blogging'?

My guess is that libraries generally tend to go for proven technologies rather than take a risk. Blogs aren't proven in the sense that there's no hard data to show the outcomes in relation to corporate goals.

That's an overly simplistic view, but then again it could be the crux of the issue of why libraries and librarians are slow to take to blogs.


Tag: , ,

3 comments:

  1. Great blog, you're very perceptive and smart to read Naked Conversations (Shel's blog on the book)

    You wrote:
    "...I think corporate blogs (when done properly) goes beyond marketing and hype. I think it's about allowing potential customers to be clued into the heads of company employees, engaging the online community in dialogue, and creating some sort of shared values along the way..."

    Yup, you nailed it right on the head, that's EXACTLY the way I see it, you could not write it more perfect.

    Shel of Naked Conversations recently told me he's a speaker and running a workshop in Singapore, If you're not already planning to go, I highly encourage you connect with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeremiah, didn't expect you to drop by. Technorati, I presume? Yet another example of the power of how connections are created in the Blogosphere. Yeah I'm in touch with Shel. Will be having dinner with him when he's in town. Oh, I didn't read the book yet. I'm hoping he'll give me a copy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ivan

    I'm glad to read your post, it's very insightful. No, I didn't use technorati, I use Sheorati (hehe, joking)

    Speaking of Shel, I'm half way through his book, it really resonates with me, as I'm certainly the target audience.

    I've got some notes here, and will add more as I get through it

    http://jeremiahthewebprophet.blogspot.com/2005/12/naked-conversations-interesting-juicy.html

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Leave a comment :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.