Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Making sense of the World: Real Life & Second Life

My friend in the SG Blogosphere, Vanessa, appeared in the papers again (for good reasons). She was interviewed by Straits Times (Digital Life) for her views on why Second Life isn’t taking off as well in Singapore compared to games like World of Warcraft and Maple Story.

Here's my favourite part of the interview:
"Second Life," she said gravely, "is not a game".
"It is a world. You have to find your own friends, find your own goals."

Brilliant.

I left a comment to say that those same words apply to Real Life too.


Technorati Tags:

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:57 pm

    How come the article in digital life never balanced it out with someone who did play secondlife?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:25 am

    Well, I do believe that real life is usually less sensational than second life. Just like most bloggers you meet in real life have blogs that are worst than their bite. Somehow, being online emboldens one to take greater risks in an avatar-centric universe. People become more daring hiding beneath the cloak of anonymity....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:46 pm

    Sometimes reality may be more imaginative, unbelievable and fantastic than what second life has to offer. I know that because occasionally, I will pinch myself to see if I am in a dream or whether it is real. Of course, being killed in first life isn't half as fun as being shot at in second life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:49 am

    Heh. I missed this post previously. Cheers Ivan.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Leave a comment :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.