Friday, November 17, 2006

Blogging and Big Business: A reflection

When I read Lucian's Dell Troubles, these thoughts went through my mind:
  • I know Lucian personally. I trust his opinions. If he gives a thumbs-down for Dell, I'll take his word for it;
  • I remember similar "Dell Hell" posts, like this one, from Shel. As with Lucian, I also know Shel and I trust his opinions;
  • Increasingly, when Dell products are mentioned in blogs, it's usually highlighted for some defects.
  • I have this strong impression of how Dell is going downhill. I don't recall people praising about Dell products anymore.

Good thing about blogging is that I can access the archives of ideas and opinions (mine and others), and review them in the present context.

Here's one on my troubles with an Ariston Fridge (3 Jan 2006). Question: "Among those who read that post, would they buy an Ariston Fridge or even consider one?"

I can tell you this -- even if I've forgotten about the earlier pain, I still remember that I'd blogged about it and having re-read my own post, I'm really never going to buy Ariston. Not when there are other brands to try.

Via this earlier post of mine (23 Apr 2005), I re-read the BusinessWeek article that posits how "Blogs Will Change Your Business" (2 May 2005) and "Why You Can't Ignore Blogs Anymore" (22 Apr 2005). Back in 2005 when the articles were published, it was not well understood (if at all) how blogs could affect Big Business. More than a year has passed. If it's not well understood then, I bet it is now.

So...
  1. It's not necessarily true that Businesses will Die if they don't blog. But I think they MUST read blogs and know how to search out blog posts about their products and services. Imagine Dell happily thinking all's well when consumers are seething with rage;
  2. Blogging does matter to Businesses, especially when there are alternatives for consumers (i.e. when competition is fierce)
  3. In the absence of viable competitors, customer opinions expressed via blogs may not matter so much to your business. Your customers may rant and rave but if they have to use your product, they will.
  4. Libraries are Businesses.
  5. In a globalised world, so are Governments.

OK, you make the inferences and draw your conclusions : )

[Technorati Tags: , , ]

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:07 am

    I can vouch for the Dell Hell experience. When my colleagues ordered new computers for themselves, it took a long while to arrive. One took as much as 8 days to come, and the excuse given by the call centre agent was that "Your PC is still being transported from Penang." Its no surprise then that Dell's market share has slipped and HP is now the world's number PC maker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:45 pm

    Dell do read blogs. when the same thing that happened to me a while ago, I ranted on my blog and they sent a email to me.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Leave a comment :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.