Thursday, February 19, 2009

Barry Schwartz, on “practical wisdom"

Thanks to Kevin for the heads-up to this TED talk:

Link

At the 3min mark, Barry Schwartz talks about "kindness", "care", and "empathy" as essential qualities to jobs. And how these are seldom stated in the job descriptions.

I thought that applies to librarians and other service-oriented jobs too.

Other nice quotes from the talk:
"Brilliance is not wisdom".

"A wise person is made, not born".


Barry also talks about how wisdom depends on experience. One needs to be mentored by wise teachers.

And I thought of the wise people whom I've come across in my life (as well as those who aren't wise, i.e. negative examples).

Many of these 'wise teachers', I found them through the public library.

The authors and characters from books I've met over the years.

2 comments:

  1. Personally, I think integrity trumps every other quality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:26 pm

    Thanks for the link. That was interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Leave a comment :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.