Monday, December 03, 2007

Music of Reuben Kee, 1984 - 2007

[First posted at SeaStars2007]

I first learned about this young man's music from Jean's blog post.

singapore4Reuben Kee was one of the five dragon boaters who died in the accident. See articles from The Straits Times and Channelnewsasia (the Facebook group mentioned in the ST article can be found here).

He's a talented musician as well.

I liked what I heard.

See:
Wonder if the site would be maintained. If not, his music ought to be hosted in a service like Archive.org.
[UPDATE: I've emailed the owner of the Facebook group -- presumably one of Reuben's close friend -- with pointers on saving his music on Archive.org]

In an email to some of my friends, I wrote that it's sad that his talents weren't recognised until his death. But I realised I was very wrong to have written that.

Reuben Kee's musical talent was probably widely recognised among his friends. And I'm sure he's delighted people with his compositions.

And in death, his music still delights.

The music lives on, if not the memory of the musician.

Hmm...

I'm glad Adrian and I are doing this music album.

Gaining fame and fortune -- those are the least of our objectives.

Creating happiness is.

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps one of the good things about the Internet is that - ironically - it lets us see the human side of people that we never met and will never meet, from blogs to Facebook profiles.

    Anyway, I've spent like the last half hour looking at your blogs, and I must say you draw very well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yee Hung, I don't find it ironic at all that technology is bringing people closer than apart. I've been saying that for the longest time.

    I think it's people who choose to stay apart, and technology is merely used as a convenient excuse. I mean, we're an email away but sometimes we don't even contact friends for ages.

    Oh, thanks for the compliments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:19 pm

    Good words.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Leave a comment :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.