Friday, August 08, 2008

IFLA 2008 (part 2): Arrived in Quebec City

View from Hotel in Quebec CityIt's a gray rainy morning in Quebec City.

Woke at seven. Had a quick breakfast. Back to the room to clear emails and stuff.

Took a break to write this quick post.

I had a chance to use my extremely limited French vocabulary last night, when I took the taxi from the airport to the hotel.

The cab driver spoke in French and must have been asked me where I wanted to go. I said the hotel name. And gave him the address I'd written (good to be prepared, non?)

"Est-ce que vous parlez anglais?" I asked.

"Ah, a lee-tle bit," he replied.

We attempted some small talk during the 15 minutes to the hotel. Where did I come from. First time here?

He looked like he was in his mid-50s. He was munching on a sandwich as he drove. I asked what was his work hours was like.

Until eleven, he said.

Reached the hotel. Smooth and uneventful ride. Paid and tipped him.

"Merci."

We both smiled.

I'd like to believe the first person I meet (including the customs and immigration officers) would set the tone for the rest of my stay in a foreign land.

I'm looking out my hotel room now. The sky is still gray. It's still raining.

But I believe I would enjoy my stay in Quebec City.

[From Part 1; See Part 3]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation. Leave a comment :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.