Thursday, June 09, 2005

Chinese Language Meetup participates in READ! Singapore

With permission from Preetam, who's also the organiser for the Singapore Chinese Language Meetup Group:
Meetup this Thursday May 19, 7 PM. The venue is Tea Chapter on Neil Road, the nearest landmark is Maxwell Food Court and the nearest MRT is Chinatown.

We will be introducing some starting books, some of the places where you can learn Chinese in Singapore and other learning resources. We will also be exchanging travel stories and travel tips.

Just so that we know how many are turning up, please RSVP on the meetup site.
http://chinese.meetup.co m/115/events/4684110/

At the time of this post, there were 10 people who have RSVPed. Preetam also agreed to participate in READ! Singapore by choosing books from Chinese book selection.

No one is forced to read the proposed books of course. But it would be good to count the meetup group as a participant. I have recommended these two books:

Love at the Convenience Store_Han Han
7-Eleven狂想曲: 函函青春小说
Love at the Convenience Store by Han Han
NLB Call No.: SING HNHN (Singapore Collection)
Click here to check item availability
Direct link to
discussion guide

Short Stories_Xi Ni Er
希尼尔微型小说
Short Stories of Xi Ni Er
NLB Call No.:
SING XINE (Singapore Collection)
Click here for item availability.
Direct link to discussion guide


They are short stories, with each story averaging about 10 pages in relatively large font. Perfect for me 'cos I have to reply heavily on my Chinese-to-English dictionary to decipher almost every character.

I'm choosing "Love at the Convenience Store". It's written by a young lady, real name Chen Qiyun. She's currently an undergrad at NTU (if I read the blurb correctly). Wah, early 20s and published author. There's a picture of her behind the front cover.

I asked Preetam if the members of the Chinese Language Meetup were experts in the Chinese Language. He says most are "learners", which prompted me to join. What better way to improve my Mandarin than to discuss about books in the language, in an informal setting. Read Preetam's post about the group here.


Tag: ,

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:36 am

    I've just finished reading that book, and sorry to say, I'm quite disappointed with it. But it's an easy read - I finished it in less than a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Mel - between the 3, I think I would find that managable. Well, I'll read it soon and see if my take-away is different.

    Preetam, you must be refering to this one:
    Memories of the Southern Suburbs. You might have seen it at this post.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Leave a comment :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.