Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Off to IFLA Conference: 19-23 August 2007, Durban, South Africa (part 6)

Spotted this at the conference venue: A "Braille Trail" for those who rely on Braille -- the sign provides instruction on how to get around. For instance, to get to Hall 2, one has to "Turn to 3 o'clock, and walk straight ahead".

Rather than say "turn 90-degrees", it said "turn to your 3 o'clock". Makes sense.

A clever system.

I closed my eyes as I touched the surface of the sign (as if I was reading the Braille sign). I was facing the sign. So I pictured 3 o'clock, which was a 90-degrees turn to my right. Walking straight would get me to Hall 2.

Durban ICC - braille sign

[Reference: Part 5]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation. Leave a comment :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.