Sunday, March 12, 2006

Raw notes is now Rough Notes: My new Wordpress Blog

Dear Blogger.com,

I've waited for as long as I can for you to introduce a Categories feature like wordpress.com but I can't wait any longer. My posts in Raw Notes have grown to the extent that I need to be able to categorise the books by genre and format (what can I say? I'm a librarian.)

What more, Wordpress.com has made it so easy to migrate the posts over. I gave it a shot and it was done in minutes without hitches, and RoughNotes.wordpress.com was born.

With the appropriate wordpress template, I can now tell at a glance how many items are in each category (e.g. "Books", "Graphic Novels", "Fiction", "Non-fiction", "Science Fiction"). It's a great way for me to apply some of the library classification skills and knowledge, as well as learn -- through application -- the issues regarding traditional classification and taxonomies Vs the popularity and relevance of "folksonomy".

Another cool thing is that I can create Pages, like this one on the DDC (a primer to non-librarians and a quick-reference for me).

Anyway, Rambling Librarian will still be here (but I tell you, the folks at Wordpress are giving you a run for the money...)

Sincerely,
Rambling Librarian

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:05 pm

    wordpress.com is great. i know, i have been trying it out too. blogspot offers one advantage though. it's more likely to be picked up by google search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right, Rana.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Leave a comment :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.