Saturday, April 29, 2006

Me, a Radical Librarian?

Stumbled upon these slides titled:
Revolting Librarians Redux Review
A Short and Inexact History
of Progressive Librarianship
With some thoughts
about its future
www.librarian.net/talks/tla
by Jessamyn "I have a Masters degree in Librarianship" West (i.e. Librarian.net). Total 14 slides for a TLA presentation (she adds at the end "there was no PowerPoint involved in this presentation except as a nagging bad example"). Heh.

The slides were quite interesting in themselves. I could roughly make out the context of the presentation though not the entire context without listening the the actual presentation. Then I came to slide 11, where under "what other radical librarians are up to", I've been listed as the example point from Singapore (see point 5 "outreach").

Me, a Radical Librarian? Heh. Thanks for the compliment.

I'm not quite sure what Jessamyn had to say about the "thoughts for the future". Would have loved to be there. I popped over to her blog to see if she'd blogged about this talk (she did) and whether there was a podcast (there wasn't... pity). The presentation went well for her, so that's great.

Wonder if any librarians at her presentation asked, "Where's Singapore?"

Oh, TLA = Texas Library Association.

1 comment:

  1. "progressive" is what I've been saying now, which has a slightly nicer ring to it than radical for whatever reason. Sorry no podcast, though if you click on "printable" you'll see all the notes that I read, though I mostly did show and tell for the last slide. I talked about the September Project and used your chat as a great example of getting people from diverse backgrounds to talk to each other and learn other perspectives other than just our own. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Leave a comment :)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.